Electronic Brachytherapy (EBX)
Skin Cancer Treatment without Surgery!
Here at American Skin Institute we help many patients who are fighting skin cancer and are looking for the best ways to treat their cancer effectively. We work with patients from all walks of life and have expertise with a wide array of cancers, including the squamous cell basal cell carcinomas. Over the years, we’ve seen first-hand how difficult it can be for some patients to deal with the side effects of treatments like radiation and Mohs surgery and we’ve have taken steps to bring new, less-invasive solutions to all our patients.
Of course, in some cases, surgery and radiation are still the best options to ensure the safety of the patient, but in recent years a new alternative has become available that can make skin cancer treatment much easier for the patient physically, and psychologically.
To make skin cancer treatment easier for our patients, we are delighted to offer Electronic Brachytherapy (EBX); a revolutionary treatment that allows for targeted lesion removal without the side effects associated with isotope radiation treatments and surgical lesion removal. This treatment is a cutting-edge technology that uses x-ray radiation to remove cancer lesions, and can effectively focus the beams directly on the lesion, without significantly affecting the surrounding tissues.
During treatment, you will either sit in a chair or will be asked to lie down. Your medical provider will then take an applicator (a thin tube-like device) and place it directly on top of the lesion. The device will then be turned on, and the lesion will receive a continuous burst of x-ray radiation for several minutes – the length of time based on the personalized course of treatment designed by your doctor.
Because this treatment uses non-toxic levels of radiation, no specialized protective clothing will be necessary and your medical provider will be able to stay in the room with you to monitor the treatment.
There are many advantages to this treatment, including:
- Minimal blistering. Unlike more conventional radiation treatments, EBX causes very little (if any) blistering on the skin. This significantly increases comfort and reduces the negative psychological effects of skin cancer treatment.
- There is absolutely no pain or discomfort during treatment, and you can continue other daily activities afterwards.
- Because of the targeted approach, an EBX treatment session can be conducted in as little as 5 minutes; without you having to make special arrangements.
- As the EBX doesn’t use isotope radiation, there is very low toxicity associated with the treatment; increasing your safety and minimizing potential damage to surrounding tissues commonly feared with traditional radiation treatments.
- The EBX treatment provides positive cosmetic results, and typically does not require reconstructive surgery to remove scars commonly associated with Mohs surgery.
- This treatment is non-invasive, with no need for needles or incisions; which reduces recovery time and improves quality of life during treatment.
- EBX non-surgical treatment has been successfully tested on thousands of patients around the country with positive results, low cancer recurrence rates, and is FDA-approved.
If you are dealing with skin cancer, you don’t have to navigate the treatment process alone. Here at American Skin Institute we’ve helped many patients in your situation and we’re ready to help you face this challenge. Our expert doctors, attentive staff, and our top of the line equipment are all at your disposal. All you have to do is get in touch with us, and we’ll work together to make your treatment a success.
And speaking of great doctors, let us take a moment to introduce Dr. Summer Chong. She is a graduate of the Keck School of medicine at USC, where she also completed her residency in Dermatology. Dr. Chong’s special interests in cosmetic dermatology, dermatological surgery, and general medical dermatology are a valued part of our collective expertise.
At American Skin Institute of Los Angeles, we're proud to offer Electronic Brachytherapy (EBX) to the Los Angeles area and across Southern California. With three locations in Sherman Oaks, Beverly Hills, and Westlake Village, we are easily accessible to residents throughout the San Fernando Valley and surrounding areas for Electronic Brachytherapy (EBX), including: Agoura, Brentwood, Burbank, Calabasas, Camarillo, Chatsworth, Encino, Glendale, Granada Hills, Hollywood, Los Angeles, Mission Hills, Moorpark, North Hollywood, Simi Valley, Tarzana, Thousand Oaks, Valley Glen, Westwood, Woodland Hills